| The area where the community
of Stanley Mission is now situated is known in Cree as Amuchewaspimewin,
"the shooting up place" and situated on the Churchill River, close
to the northern end of Lac la Ronge. The original name came from the
use of the area by Cree hunters to test their ability by shooting
arrows to the top of nearby cliffs.
1850 to 1856 a beautiful Anglican Church was built on the northern
bank. It was constructed by local residents, and overseen by the
Rev. Robert Hunt. Whipsaws were used to cut lumber for the church
from local logs. Windows and hardwood were brought by boat
from England via Hudson Bay.
church is now a provincial historic park and is used by Stanley
Mission residents and visited by tourists. It is recognized as the
oldest building in Saskatchewan.