La Loche, Northern Saskatchewan's second largest community,
was first visited by explorers and traders in the 1700's, and was
originally a Dene seasonal hunting and fishing settlement that had
existed for hundreds of years prior to that time. The town was first
plotted, and named in the early 1840's at about the same time as
a community in close proximity, West La Loche, was slowly coming
The lush valleys of the nearby historic Clearwater and the
Garson Rivers, and Lake La Loche [a source to the Churchill River]
have long yielded an abundant variety of fish and game to nourish
those who reside here. La Loche was a crossing point to the arctic
on the fur trade route that straddles the rise of land known as
'Methy Portage', a portage that divided the waterways that flow
to the north and those that pour eastward to Hudson's Bay. The fur
markets of central Canada were fed by masses of pelts that passed
through this remote northwest community for more than a century
and a half.
the community has grown rapidly, especially with the advent
of increased modern communications and transportation; in the past
few decades and by sheer force of its cultural and economic geography
this friendly community has become a thriving center with modern
medical facilities and excellent schools.
Welcome to a community that has seen the giants of northern
exploration tread its paths and portage its woodland trails.
Archives of Canada